Tax Help, Forms, & Information
Every year volunteers from the AARP assist people (by appointment, no charge) in preparing and filing their taxes.
- Visit the AARP website for many tax-prep resources and online help requests.
- Visit https://irs.gov for changes to filing deadlines, relief programs, and all other tax questions.
AARP tax help at Lafayette Public Library 2023
Wednesdays & Saturdays, Feb. 1-April 12
- Appointments required; spaces fill very quickly.
- Assistance in Spanish is provided during Saturday appointments.
- Se ofrece asistencia en español durante las citas los sábados.
Ways to sign up
- Register and book the appointment online at https://cotaxaide.org/appt/
- Call 303-661-1163
- Stop by the upper-level Reader's Advisory desk at the top of the stairs.
Before your appointment
- Before your appointment, pick up an intake packet from the Library to fill out ahead of time (available from table on the main floor in the Nonfiction area)
1. Masks are required during your appointment at the request of the AARP.
2. Do not come to the Library if you are showing any symptoms of COVID-19.
3. Tax returns will be prepared onsite during your appointment.
4. Bring with you:
- Intake packet (includes Form 13614-C)
- All income statements (W2, 1099s, SSAs, Brokerage Statements, etc.)
- Medical information including insurance information. Information for deductions (mortgage interest, property tax, gifts to charities, etc.)
- Photo ID (required) Social Security Cards for anyone listed on the tax return (required)
More information on specific locations will be added soon.
AARP Tax Aide Locator tool (call locations to confirm as dates may change or show last year's dates)
Alternate Resources or Providers
VITA Free Tax Help Locator (call locations to confirm as dates may change or show last year's dates)
Tax Help Colorado (Call locations to confirm as dates may change or show last year's dates)
Pick up Forms
Every year, the IRS sends a selection of forms (and some instructions) for distribution.
Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ are no longer in use; they have been replaced with the redesigned Form 1040. Many people will only need to file Form 1040 and no schedules.
Forms at the Library
- 1040 Booklet - includes new 1040 form, 1040-SR, and schedules 1-3
- 1040 Instructions
- State of Colorado (booklet includes instructions and forms)
- Binder with other common forms for patrons to use for self-serve copies (10 cents/pg).
Forms and Instructions can be downloaded year-round from the IRS.
Order Forms & Instructions by Mail
- Order Online: www.irs.gov
- Order by Phone: 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).
IRS and State of Colorado Service Locations
Colorado IRS website
Denver, CO 80202
Colorado Dept. of Revenue Taxation Division Website
Denver Service Center
1375 Sherman St., Denver, CO 80261