Tax Help, Forms, & Information
AARP tax help at Lafayette Public Library 2021
Wednesdays & Saturdays, February 13-April 7
- Appointments required; spaces fill very quickly.
Ways to sign up
- Register and book the appointment online at https://cotaxaide.org/appt/
- Call 303-661-1163
- Stop by the upper level Adult Services desk.
Before your appointment
- Before you appointment, you must pick up a packet from the Library to fill out at home (available from table on the main floor in the Nonfiction area)
When you arrive
1. You must wear a cloth face covering to enter the Library for your appointment.
2. Do not come to the Library if you are showing any symptoms of COVID-19.
3. Enter the Library from the side door to the lower-level meeting room at the North end of the parking lot (do not use the front entrance)
4. Tax returns will not be prepared onsite.
5. Bring the packet of information you picked up before your appointment to fill out at home.
6. At your appointment, you will drop of your completed forms and supporting documents. Your time at the Library will need to be as short as possible.
- All income statements (W2, 1099s, SSAs, Brokerage Statements, etc.)
- Medical information including insurance information. Information for deductions (mortgage interest, property tax, gifts to charities, etc.)
- Photo ID (required) Social Security Cards for anyone listed on the tax return (required)
7. Your documents will stay with the AARP until you pick up your tax return one week after dropoff.
8. You will receive a phone call or email if AARP has questions or needs more information.
9. You (and your spouse) will need to return to the Library one week later at the same time as your original appointment to sign and pick up your returns. Your returns cannot be e-filed until you (and your spouse) have signed Form 8879 (IRS e-file signature authorization).
10. Be on time for your appointment. If you arrive early or late, you will be asked to wait outside until you can safely be allowed into the Library.
More information on specific locations will be added soon.
AARP Tax Aide Locator tool (call locations to confirm as dates may change or show last year's dates)
Alternate Resources or Providers
VITA Free Tax Help Locator (call locations to confirm as dates may change or show last year's dates)
Tax Help Colorado (Piton - call locations to confirm as dates may change or show last year's dates)
Pick up Forms
Every year, the IRS sends a selection of forms (and some instructions) for distribution.
Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ are no longer in use; they have been replaced with the redesigned Form 1040. Many people will only need to file Form 1040 and no schedules.
Located in the Lobby
Available as of January 26:
- 1040 Booklet - includes new 1040 form, 1040-SR, and schedules 1-3
- 1040 Instructions
- State of Colorado (booklet includes instructions and forms)
- Binder with other common forms for patrons to use for self-serve copies (10 cents/pg).
Forms and Instructions can be downloaded year-round from the IRS.
Order Forms & Instructions by Mail
- Order Online: www.irs.gov
- Order by Phone: 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).
IRS and State of Colorado Service Locations
Colorado IRS website
Denver, CO 80202
Colorado Dept. of Revenue Taxation Division Website
Denver Service Center
1375 Sherman St., Denver, CO 80261