Volunteers make all the difference at the Library. When we have open opportunities, simply apply, and we will set up an informal interview.
Update for Summer 2021
At present, we do not have any open opportunities for adult volunteers and ask that you wait to apply until we issue a new call for volunteers. Please check back seasonally.
About the Work
Read on for descriptions of typical volunteer opportunities. Don’t see something that fits your talents or interests? When we have open positions, simply send an email and we can discuss the options with you.
Have a teen who would like to earn community service credit, have fun with other teens, and be a mentor to kids? Learn more about Teen opportunities.
Assist staff by gathering customer hold items. Embrace a collection of your choice in the Library, and help shelve and groom in that area so that materials are correctly placed, on display and neatly organized. If you enjoy working in a friendly atmosphere, being on your feet and getting some exercise, and promoting an excellent library experience for our community, please apply!
Share your tech talent: be a Computer Coach! Got great people skills? Enjoy helping beginning computer users with technology? You don’t have to know everything to be a computer coach in the Library’s computer lab. We are looking for volunteers who want to explore and learn as they help people with computer and technology questions. Apply now and put your curiosity and capabilities to excellent use!
Friends Member or Fundraiser
Friends of the Lafayette Library Foundation work hard for our community. They are instrumental to supporting Library programs, and they need our help! How can YOU help? Here are two easy ways:
- Join the Friends - it’s fast and easy to join; your membership provides much-needed revenue for the Friends, who underwrite our Summer Reading program, as well as programs throughout the year. Like our programs? Be a friend!
- Be a Fundraising Friend! Apply now to be part of a much-needed fundraising group.
Homebound Delivery Partner
Reach out monthly to those unable to visit the Library due to illness, disabilities, or other challenges. Interested in volunteering to deliver books, cds, and dvds to a homebound friend, relative, or neighbor? Apply online now! Know somebody who could benefit from this service, or have questions? Email the Volunteer Coordinator or call 303-661-1172.
Makerspace Mentor or Workshop Leader
Studio 775 is a collaborative, community-driven space where users can learn to use new tech tools in creative ways. Volunteer mentors assist, support, and encourage community members (teens and adults) as they learn to use new equipment and develop projects. Visit the Studio 775 web page
- Mentors assist, support, and encourage community members (teens and adults) as they learn to use new equipment and develop projects.
- Seeking mentors of all ages with enthusiasm for learning and teaching tech.
- Read the details below, then apply online
- Provide basic orientation to equipment/supplies and guide community members in their use.
- Offer encouragement and support
- Offer specific guidance or workshops in areas of personal expertise
- Collaborate with library staff and other volunteers to develop projects
- Bring any serious concerns/issues to the attention of library staff
- Engage in your own learning and exploration by trying new things
- Keep the Makerspace tidy and organized
- Attend monthly meetings at the library to share feedback with library staff and volunteers
- Three hours per week
- Skills with technology (3D printing!), engineering, music, science, photography/photo editing, OR curiosity and a commitment to developing such skills.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn and make things
- Experience and/or strong interest in working with others
- Patience and kindness
We are also looking for community members interested in sharing their expertise—do you want to teach a class in coding, 3D printing, or something else? Have other questions? Fill out the Makerspace mentors application form and we will be in touch!