700 Block of S. Public Road
Proposal Presentation, Open House, and Public Comment on March 16, 2020
The Lafayette Urban Renewal Authority (LURA) will host a meeting on March 16 to view presentations from developers and hear public input on three (3) proposals received for a proposed redevelopment of the 700 block of S. Public Road.
Monday, March 16, 2020
Lafayette City Council Chambers | 1290 S. Public Road
The open house style meeting will include;
- A presentation of each of the three (3) proposals from the responding developers
- Availability for the public to view each proposal and interact with the developers to ask questions in an open-house style format
- Formal public comment period to allow stakeholders to share comments with LURA
These activities will help guide LURA in their process to select a redevelopment plan for the 700 block of S. Public Road. It should be noted that once a proposal is selected, the developer will be required to go through all normal planning approvals, which will include additional opportunities for the public to comment.
Coupled with public input, LURA’s goal is to select the proposal they feel meets some, most, or all of the following criteria and desired themes.
1) The responder that best possesses the ability, desire, and financial resources to develop the site;
2) The proposal that best mixes market reality, community desire, and economic feasibility;
3) The proposal that best improves the community along the street;
4) The proposal that most capitalizes on the strength of Lafayette’s cultural arts;
5) The proposal that has the best chance for “diverse, kid-friendly, value-oriented shops and restaurants”;
6) The proposal that ‘plays to the street’ the most;
7) The proposal that best conforms to the Authority’s Objectives and Vision Plan
8) The responder that best responds to the Urban Renewal Plan and redevelopment objectives
9) The proposal that conforms with applicable building and zoning ordinances (as may be amended) and other applicable ordinances of the City;
Themes: Funky, Mixed-Use, Historical Context, Business Incubator, Flex-Space, Right-Sized, Fits Character of Public Rd., Unique Good Signage, Public Spaces, Live/Work, Attainable, Bold, Incorporating Tenants, Artistic
Comments or concerns may be submitted to LURA by emailing email@example.com . If you wish to give comments to the Authority in advance, or cannot attend the meeting, comments should be received no later than March 16, 2020, at 5:00pm.
After extensive public discussion, in August 2019, LURA determined the best path forward to redevelop the 700 block of S. Public Road would be to issue a Request for Proposal (RFP) to determine what the market would support. Public input was solicited, and staff received over 300 comments to help in the creation of the RFP. The RFP was published in November and three proposals were submitted. View the RFP and submittals at www.cityoflafayette.com/700PublicRoad