City Council unanimously appoints Saul Tapia Vega
City Council met in a Special Meeting on Nov. 13, 2023, and interviewed four candidates to fill a seat vacated due to the passing of Councilor Tonya Briggs. Councilor unanimously agreed to appoint Saul Tapia Vega. Mr. Vega will serve out the remainder of Councilor Briggs' term which ends in November 2025.
The Role of City Council
The Lafayette City Council serves as the community’s legislative body, enacting ordinances, appropriating funds to conduct city business, and providing policy direction for city governance through the city administrator.
The Council consists of seven members who are elected on a non-partisan basis in odd-numbered years. Terms are staggered so the Council always consists of experienced members. Four seats must be filled each election year. The three councilors with the highest number of votes serve four-year terms and the fourth receives a two-year term.
The mayor and mayor pro-tem are selected by the City Council for two-year terms. Under provisions of the Lafayette City Charter, Council has the power to appoint the city administrator, city attorney, municipal court judge, city treasurer, and chief of police.
City Council Meetings
City Council meets at 5:30pm on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month at Lafayette City Hall, City Council Chambers, 1290 S. Public Road.
How to participate
Watch City Council Meetings
- Attend the meeting in person in City Council Chambers, 1290 S. Public Road
- Watch live on Comcast Channel 8 or 881
- Stream live or watch a recorded meeting at lafayetteco.gov/StreamingVideo
- Listen to the live meetings via your phone by calling toll-free at 1-877-853-5247. Enter the meeting number (869 1163 2580), then press #.
- View the meeting on the City's YouTube channel at youtube.com/CityofLafayetteCO. Closed captioning is provided during the live YouTube broadcast and multi-language closed captioning is an option for recorded City Council meetings displayed on YouTube.
Provide Public Comment at Council Meetings
- Attend a meeting in person in City Council Chambers, 1290 S. Public Road
- Provide comments during the Public Input period
- If Spanish interpretation is needed for public input, please request interpreter assistance two business days prior to the meeting date.
- Submit written comments in English or Spanish for Public Input to City Council by completing the online Public Input Form.
- If your written comments are received by 1pm on the day of the meeting they will be added to the meeting packet for that night.
- Written comments submitted for Public Input will not be read aloud during the meeting.
- Call in remotely by calling toll-free at 1-877-853-5247
- You will be asked for the meeting number: 869 1163 2580
- Press # after entering the number
- Press *9 to raise your hand to speak during Public Input. When it is your turn to speak, your microphone will be unmuted and you will be asked to share your comments.
|Mayor JD Mangat||303-731-9460||11/2023|
|Councilor Enihs Medrano||303-604-3751||11/2023|
|Councilor Stephanie Walton||720-593-0026||11/2023|
|Councilor Nicole Samson||303-604-3750||11/2025|
|Councilor Saul Tapia Vega||11/2025|
|Councilor Tim Barnes||720-380-4419||11/2023|
|Mayor Pro Tem Brian Wong||720-236-3696||11/2025|