Contractor License Information
The City requires all contractors doing construction work within the City limits and being compensated for that work to be licensed. Licenses are good for one year from the day your license is issued.
How to Register - Online or In Person
- Go to the City of Lafayette’s Online Action Center.
- Upload a PDF copy of your General Liability Insurance Certificate (required) and your Workman’s Compensation Insurance Certificate (if applicable).
- Electrical Contractors and Plumbing Contractors - upload a PDF copy of your State License (required) or you can email it to email@example.com.
- Once your application has been approved, you will receive an email with a link for an online payment.
- Pay online with Visa or MasterCard credit card only.
- Once you have paid for your license, we will send you the MyGov Account Activation Letter to set up a MyGov account. With your MyGov account, you will be able to apply for building permits, pay for buildings permits, and check inspection results all online.
Register In Person or by Mail
- Fill out the Contractor License Application.
- Attach copy of your General Liability Insurance Certificate (required) and your Workman’s Compensation Insurance Certificate (if applicable).
- Fill out a Lawful Presence Affidavit, including a copy of your driver’s license or ID.
- Electrical Contractors and Plumbing Contractors - a copy of your State License is required.
- Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed/dropped off at the Building Department: City Hall Water Utility Bill Drop Box, 1290 S. Public Road, Lafayette, CO 80026
- Pay with check or credit card (Visa or MasterCard).
- Once you have paid for your license, we will send you the MyGov Account Activation Letter to set up a MyGov account. With your MyGov account, you will be able to apply for building permits, pay for building permits, and check inspection results all onliine.
Renew your Contractor License online at the Online Action Center. You will need to be in a 90-day renewal period to renew online. Not in a renewal window, please contact us at email@example.com. We can update your record, so you can renew your license online.
Contact the Building Department at 303-661-1451 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Types of Licenses & Fees
- Electrical Contractor License- A copy of your State Master License is required.
- No fee
- General Class A - Required for all commercial work over 2,000 square feet in size.
- $175 fee
- General Class B- Required for commercial work up to 2,000 square feet in size and any size of residential construction.
- $125 fee
- General Class C - Allows residential construction / remodeling up to 3,500 square feet in size.
- $100 fee
- Mechanical License - For commercial and residential HVAC.
- $125 fee
- Plumbing License - Copy of master plumbing license is required.
- $150 fee
- Special Contractor License - Covers roofing, excavating, sign installer, mobile home installer, concrete and form, housing and building movers, gas fitter, landscaping, fire systems, and siding.
- $100 fee
- Procedure for Contemporaneous Reviews of Electrical and Plumbing Licenses