E-Bike Rebate Program
The City of Lafayette is excited to pilot an e-bike (electric bike) rebate program to promote biking as a main form of transportation within our community. With more than 300 days of sunshine, Lafayette is a great place to strap on your helmet and replace daily car trips with biking!
Eligible e-bikes are electric bicycles with rechargeable batteries that travel up to speeds of 20 mph. When you use an e-bike you can:
- Save hundreds of dollars per year on fuel and maintenance costs
- Improve your physical health without arriving at your destination in a sweat
- Get an extra boost in rough terrain and long distances
- Reduce your carbon footprint by replacing car trips to run errands or commuting to work
Apply online starting April 3, 2023, for your chance to receive a point-of-sale rebate to purchase a qualifying e-bike at select local retailers.
The application period will be open from April 3 through May 5, 2023. View the "Timeline" below for an outline of all dates.
To apply you must:
- Be a resident of Lafayette
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Provide proof of residency
- Lafayette water utility bill
- Xcel bill
Limit one e-bike rebate per household.
All rebates will directly be paid to participating retailers and will be honored at point-of-sale when recipients purchase an eligible e-bike.
- Standard rebate: $300
- Income-qualified rebate: $600
The rebate amount covers the retail cost of the e-bike, it does not cover taxes or shipping.
To be eligible for an income-qualified rebate you must provide proof of enrollment in one of the below:
- Energy Outreach Colorado's Colorado Affordable Residential Energy Program (CARE)
- Xcel Energy's income-qualified Community Solar Gardens Program
- State of Colorado's Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
- State of Colorado's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
To qualify for the point-of-sale e-bike rebate, you must designate on your application which participating retailer you plan to buy a new e-bike from.
The purchased e-bike must be for use by the e-bike rebate applicant and not for resale. Rebates are not retroactive to past purchases and will only be honored at point-of-sale for selected applicants.
For local bike shops to participate in Lafayette's E-Bike Program, they must have a retail or service and repair location in close proximity to Lafayette. Bike shops will verify that the name on each e-bike rebate matches the name of each buyer at the time of sale.
Applicants must choose which retailer they intend to purchase their e-bike from prior to receiving a point-of-sale rebate.
The following is a list of participating retailers:
Two classes of e-bikes equipped with an electric motor are eligible:
- Class 1: electric motor provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling. The motor also stops providing assistance once the bike reaches a speed of 20 mph.
- Class 2: electric motor provides assistance at all times, regardless if the rider is pedaling. The motor stops providing assistance once the bike reaches a speed of 20 mph.
Eligible e-bikes must have:
- a motor of 750 watts or less
- two or three wheels
- fully operable pedals
There is no minimum or maximum purchase price.
Please note: full suspension mountain and gas-powered bikes are not eligible for Lafayette's e-bike rebate program.
In Colorado, electric bicycles are regulated in the same way as traditional bicycles. You must follow the rules of the road. Here in Lafayette, e-bikes are allowed on all established roadways. It is prohibited to take your e-bike on an Open Space or park trail.
The City of Lafayette is excited to pilot an e-bike rebate program for residents. Below is a timeline for the 2023 program.
- April 3: Application for an e-bike rebate opens
- April 29: Visit Lafayette's Earth Day Every Day to test drive e-bikes from a participating retailer and apply in person for a rebate
- May 5: Application for an e-bike rebate closes
- May 15: Applicants are notified if they received a point-of-sale e-bike rebate
- June 28: Applicants are encouraged to participate in Bike to Work Day and stop by Lafayette's breakfast station for a photo at 7:30am
The City of Lafayette anticipates several applications for e-bike point-of-sale rebates from interested residents. There is no limit on the number of applications, instead, the City will select recipients via a lottery system and give priority to income-qualified applicants. Please note, there are a limited number of rebates available for the pilot program.
As a reminder, these are point-of-sale rebates that participating retailers will honor for selected applicants.
The City of Lafayette and Louisville have partnered with Community Cycles to offer a local e-bike safety class during the summer. The City encourages e-bike rebate recipients to attend the class.
Stay tuned for more information. Open to all residents.