The Application Process
How to Apply for a Building Permit
2. Fill out the application.
3. Submittal requirements depend upon the complexity of the project but typically include two sets of plans and plot plans. For more information see the following:
- Building Code and Design Information
- New Commercial Building Permit Checklist
- TI - Commercial Remodel Permit Checklist
- New Residential Building Permit Checklist
- Utility Service Application (use for new residential and commercial)
- Plan sizes:
- Residential Remodel Plans (no larger than 11-by-17 inches)
- All others (no larger than 24-by-36 inches)
4. Old Town Lafayette Project Requirements
For projects in Old Town Lafayette such as an Addition, Duplex, Garage, Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU), and other Accessory Structures; please review the following:
- Contact the Planning Department to review zoning, setbacks, lot coverage requirements, and architectural requirements.
- Planning Department: 303-661-1270 or email email@example.com
5. Submit your building permit application. Email your permit application to firstname.lastname@example.org. The City also has a drop-off box for large submittals and/or large set of rolled plans such as a New Single-family Dwelling, Duplexes, New Multi-family Buildings, Accessory Dwelling Unit, Residential Addition, Detached Garage, New Commercial Buildings, and Commercial Tenant Finish. The drop box is located just to the left of the front doors at City Hall, 1290 South Public Road.
Contractors can apply for building permits online with their MyGov Account using the Lafayette MyGov portal. Once you submit, we will approve the permit and let you know by email that the permit is ready to pay. Let us know when you have paid and we will email you the permit and receipt. If you need a MyGov account, please contact us at email@example.com.
Note that applications that require a plan set will still need to be submitted either electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop your plan set off using the City's DROP BOX/PICK-UP BOX located just to the left of the front doors of City Hall at 1290 S. Public Road. Mark your permit package to the Attention of the Building Division.
6. Permit Payment.
- Pay with cash, check, or credit card (VIsa or MasterCard). Permits fees larger than $10,000 must be paid with a check or wire transfer.
- Contractors with a MyGov account can pay online with Visa or MasterCard. You can also drop your payment off in the City's water utility payment box located outside of City Hall.
7. Inspection Line: 303-604-3822
Application Processing Timelines
The Building Department will call or email you when your permit is ready. Below is the typical time frame for processing permits.
- Reroofs, HVAC, water heaters, furnace, and siding permits: three working days
- Projects such as decks, fences, and basement finishes: two weeks
- Commercial tenant finish and permanent signs: two weeks
- New residential house, duplex, residential additions, accessory dwelling unit, garage, multi-family buildings, and new commercial buildings: Four to six weeks
- In-City or Out-of-City Utility Service Applications submitted individually or independently from the Building Permit Process: two weeks