Welcome to Storytime @ the Lafayette Public Library!
You are your child's first and most important teacher! When you come to storytime, and when you read together at home, you are helping your child get ready to read. Sharing stories and other language activities such as nursery rhymes, songs, and finger plays, develops the six skills that will make your child a more successful learner at school:
- Being interested in books
- Knowing words/having a good vocabulary
- Noticing the different sounds that make up words
- Knowing how books "work"
- Recognizing individual letters
- Being able to tell a story
We're here to help you and your child find ways to enjoy books together. Please ask us questions!